Metropolitan Cathedral Tours and Tickets
Located on the Plaza Catedral in the Old City, the Metropolitan Cathedral is one of the most interesting tourist points in the area., as it showcases Panama’s colonial architecture and religious roots.
Work began on the church in 1688 but wasn’t finished until 1796, more than 100 years later. A dark stone façade is flanked by a white bell tower on each side and 67 columns support the high ceiling, while abundant artwork and beautiful stained glass windows complete the decoration.
Having at one time been in disrepair, the church has since benefited from a $4 million renovation. It has also witnessed many important events in Panama’s history, including the day in 1903 when the Republic of Panama declared itself a separate nation from Colombia on the plaza in front of the church.
Tours and Tickets to Experience Metropolitan Cathedral
- Panama Interoceanic Canal Museum (Museo del Canal Interoceánico)
- Presidential Palace (Palacio de las Garzas)
- Casco Viejo
- Afro-Antillean Museum of Panama (Museo Afro-Antillano de Panama)
- Fuerte Amador Cruise Port
- Ancon Hill (Cerro Ancon)
- Bridge of the Americas (Puente de las Americas)
- Punta Culebra Nature Center
- Amador Causeway (Calzada de Amador)
- Metropolitan National Park (Parque Natural Metropolitano)
- Panamá Viejo (Old Panama Ruins)
- Panama Canal
- Miraflores Locks
- San Jose Church (Iglesia San Jose)