Toulouse-Lautrec Museum (Musée Toulouse-Lautrec)
Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec was best known for having captured the fin-de-siecle decadence of the end of the 19th century in Paris' bohemian Montmartre district, most notably at the Moulin Rouge cabaret. But he was also accomplished in other media, and the museum does an excellent job at showcasing his prolific career.
The palace is also worth visiting for its architecture—don't miss the chance to visit the Ambois Wing, with its beautifully adorned 15th-century ceilings. If you want to go with a guide, consider a private tour to Albi, which will give you some flexibility with your visit.
Things to know before you go
- Admission to the terraces and gardens of the Palais de la Berbie is free, but there is a fee to enter the museum.
- The museum is wheelchair accessible.
- A coat/bag check is available at the entrance to the museum.
How to get there
The museum is situated in Albi, right next to the Albi Cathedral, and about 10 minutes on foot from the railway station. The town of Cordes-sur-Ciel is a half-hour drive away, while arriving from Toulouse takes closer to an hour by train or car. Driving from Carcassonne takes roughly an hour and 45 minutes.
When to get there
Opening hours and days vary throughout the year. From April through September, the museum is open daily, though it's closed on Tuesdays from October through March. Note that the museum shuts every day for a couple of hours around lunch time. It’s generally open on public holidays, with the exception of Christmas and New Year’s Day, May 1st, and November 1st.
The Albi Cathedral
The biggest draw in Albi is not the museum, but the 13th-century Albi Cathedral, with which it shares its grounds. This landmark cathedral is notable because its made of clay brick, which gives it a pink tinge, and boasts a huge bell tower that resembles a fortress. The cathedral also houses the gorgeous Great Moucherel Organ.
- Things to do in Midi-Pyrénées
- Things to do in Montpellier
- Things to do in Bordeaux
- Things to do in Girona
- Things to do in Nîmes
- Things to do in Barcelona
- Things to do in Arles
- Things to do in Avignon
- Things to do in Tarragona
- Things to do in San Sebastian
- Things to do in Zaragoza
- Things to do in Marseille
- Things to do in Aix-en-Provence
- Things to do in Languedoc-Roussillon
- Things to do in Aquitaine
- Albi Cathedral
- Black Mountains (Montagne Noire)
- Space City (Cite de l'Espace)
- Toulouse Cathedral (Cathedrale St-Etienne)
- St. Sernin Basilica (Basilique Saint-Sernin)
- Museum of Augustins (Musée des Augustins)
- Place du Capitole
- Basilica of Our Lady of the Daurade (Notre-Dame de la Daurade)
- Garonne River
- Pont Neuf
- Les Abattoirs Museum
- Lastours Castles (Châteaux de Lastours)
- Fronton Wine Region